How Do I...?

Sell to the Government


Where We Are


Events and Workshops

UEI for State Grant applicants

Washington State Department of Commerce grant recipients are required to acquire a Unique Entity Identifier (UEI) through the federal System for Awards Management (SAM.GOV) portal.  This is a new step for grant recipients and PTAC wants to make sure you have the tools to acquire Unique Entity Identifier (UEI) properly.

If on April 2022 you had an active SAM account in SAM.GOV, the federal government assigned you a Unique Entity Identifier (UEI).

This video provides instructions to get your UEI.

One Eastside Spark provided these recorded UEI instructions available in English, Chinese (Mandarin), Korean, Russian, Spanish and ASL (on the Chinese, Russian and Spanish videos)

If you do not have a SAM account you will need to do the following to get a UEI

  • Go to SAM.GOV
    • Select Sign In
    • Select “Accept”
  • You will be redirected to
    • Create an account
    • Once your account is set up, you will be redirected back to
  • Once you are signed into SAM.GOV, select the green “Get Started”. 
  • For “Purpose of Registration” Select “Get a Unique Entity ID Only”
  • Enter the name on your grant application

If you do not find a match, select the second button on the left, then the Verify Business Data near the bottom to create an incident

      • LLC, Corps and Non-Profits
        • You will need your Business Name and Address 
        • You will need your date and state of incorporation.
        • Your most recent SOS Annual Report can be found at SOS.WA.GOV
        • It contains all the required information to update the system so you can find a match
        • A brief video on How to find your SOS documents
      • Sole Proprietors
        • We suggest using your original IRS EIN letter information for your date and state of incorporation, if it is more than 5 years old, you will need additional documentation

Things to Know:

  • If you created an incident, communication will be visible only to the Federal Services Desk,
    • To see your incident sign in using the same account.
    • You may or may not receive email notices as well.
  • Additional documents may be used and can be found in this resource: EVS Documentation Checklist
  • Less is more, minimum documentation to verify information
  • This process is FREE
  • Make sure you are using .gov sites and if you are unsure, contact PTAC
  • You may be required to verify your identity in

Run into a snag? 

Refer to SAM Knowledge Base
Contact PTAC for individual assistance: ASK PTAC

DUNS and UEI History

Prior to April 2022, recipients needed a DUNS Number. The change in the federal system from DUNS to UEI has had a fair share of struggles and the process can have issues. SAM UEI Post-Transition Fact Sheet

Get Latest News & Updates

News and announcements will be delivered straight to your inbox: