Washington State Department of Commerce grant recipients are required to acquire a Unique Entity Identifier (UEI) through the federal System for Awards Management (SAM.GOV) portal. This is a new step for grant recipients and PTAC wants to make sure you have the tools to acquire Unique Entity Identifier (UEI) properly.
If on April 2022 you had an active SAM account in SAM.GOV, the federal government assigned you a Unique Entity Identifier (UEI).
This video provides instructions to get your UEI.
If you do not have a SAM account you will need to do the following to get a UEI
- Go to SAM.GOV
- Select Sign In
- Select “Accept”
- You will be redirected to login.gov
- Create an account
- Once your account is set up, you will be redirected back to SAM.gov
- Once you are signed into SAM.GOV, select the green “Get Started”.
- For “Purpose of Registration” Select “Get a Unique Entity ID Only”
- Enter the name on your grant application
If you do not find a match, select the second button on the left, then the Verify Business Data near the bottom to create an incident
- LLC, Corps and Non-Profits
- Sole Proprietors
- We suggest using your original IRS EIN letter information for your date and state of incorporation, if it is more than 5 years old, you will need additional documentation
Things to Know:
- If you created an incident, communication will be visible only to the Federal Services Desk, FSD.gov.
- To see your incident sign in using the same login.gov account.
- You may or may not receive email notices as well.
- Additional documents may be used and can be found in this resource: EVS Documentation Checklist
- Less is more, minimum documentation to verify information
- This process is FREE
- Make sure you are using .gov sites and if you are unsure, contact PTAC
- You may be required to verify your identity in login.gov
Run into a snag?
DUNS and UEI History
Prior to April 2022, recipients needed a DUNS Number. The change in the federal system from DUNS to UEI has had a fair share of struggles and the process can have issues. SAM UEI Post-Transition Fact Sheet